In the 1930s and 1940s, John Maultsby, Sr. was a wholesale grocer and entrepreneur in Whiteville, NC. After World War II, he started a veneer mill. The name of his company was Waccamaw Veneer Company. Before long, he began converting the veneer into plywood, thus beginning plywood operations still ongoing today at North Carolina Plywood's mill.
In 1956, he acquired and began operating a cut-to-size hardwood plywood mill in Florida. That business, Florida Plywoods, operated under the leadership of his two sons, John, Jr. and Charles, beginning in 1959. Today John Maultsby, Jr. has retired and the business continues in operation with Charles and John’s son, J.P. Maultsby.
In 1957 John Sr. sold the plywood mill in Whiteville to a group that began operations as Whiteville Plywood. Mr. Maultsby continued Waccamaw Veneer as a sales company, which for a time handled sales from both Florida and Whiteville Plywood.
Whiteville Plywood enjoyed considerable growth under the leadership of Mr. Wes Wallace and Mr. Dick Crutchfield for around 55 years. A wide range of customers in various industries were well-served and supported. All the while, the mill maintained a special relationship with the Maultsbys and Florida Plywoods.
In 2013, J.P. Maultsby purchased the manufacturing operations in Whiteville to better round out and compliment the offerings from their mill in Florida. Today, the "new" North Carolina Plywood continues to support customers with hardwood plywood and laminated panels, providing an even wider product offering.